Sunday, November 15, 2009

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving Day is a harvest festival. Traditionally, it is a time to give thanks for the harvest and express gratitude in general. It is a holiday celebrated primarily in Canada and the United States. While perhaps religious in origin, Thanksgiving is now primarily identified as a secular holiday.

The date and location of the first Thanksgiving celebration is a topic of modest contention. Though the earliest attested Thanksgiving celebration was on September 8, 1565 in what is now Saint Augustine, Florida, the traditional "first Thanksgiving" is venerated as having occurred at the site of Plymouth Plantation, in 1621. The Plymouth celebration occurred early in the history in one of the original thirteen colonies that became the United States, and this celebration became an important part of the American myth by the 1800s.Today, Thanksgiving is celebrated on the second Monday of October in Canada and on the fourth Thursday of November in the United States. Thanksgiving dinner is held on this day, usually as a gathering of family members and friends. Thanks to Wikipedia.org I found this information and it pretty much sums up the traditional view of Thanksgiving.

I see it as the time of year that families get together and eat until they can no longer stay awake, take a nap and wake up to do it all over again, somewhere in there kids play and people watch football... I have never sat at a Thanksgiving feast and gave thanks for anything, which I should..which begs the question...how many of us actually other than in prayer, go around the table and give thanks for the day, the food, or something they feel happened in the past year that they are truly thankful for?

So I thought about it a bit and came up with a list of things that I am thankful for.

1. I still have both of my parents. Although I dont have a great relationship with them, I know that I can pick up the phone and talk to them.

2. I am thankful for being a mother. Our children can make us pull our hair out at times, but we wouldn't trade them in for anything!

3. I am thankful for income, I know a lot of people who do not have jobs and are struggling with day to day needs.

4. I am thankful for a roof over my head, you would be amazed at the amount of people who are homeless.

5. I am thankful for friends. I dont make nor keep friends easily due to my inability to filter my thoughts, If I think it I say it... you would think people would like the honesty..they dont. I might make that a New Years Resolution...hmmm food for thought.

This is just the beginning of things I am thankful for, I just thought I would get my thanks started early.

Happy Holidays Everyone,
Comycgyrl


No comments: